Tales of life and art. Theater, knitting, music, and pottery (and anything else I feel like writing about)

Thursday, August 07, 2008

the world's a stage...

It's amazing what the theatre can do... I've been particularly blue the last week or so, residue from the crap that has been going on all Spring.. And tonight I went to the theatre to consider auditioning for a play. It is a show I'd wanted to do, but after everything that has been going on, I wasn't sure I wanted to or was ready, so I went in thinking I'd observe, and decide and audition tomorrow if I decided that way.. I got there, before auditions started, walked out on the stage, and was upset for a brief moment.. Went to the rest room to collect myself for a moment, and returned to the house, as the others arrived. I filled out the form, and gave it a whorl.. The moment I set foot on the stage for the first read, everything melted away.. I've had this happen many times before.. Arriving to rehearsal and the stresses of the day disappearing.. It is actually part of why I do theatre, it is part of what caused me to reassess my relationship this Spring... But I really didn't expect it to calm and recenter me as much as it seems to have done tonight.. My mind feels clearer, my focus seems to be a bit more there, and I'm not feeling as wound up as I have been of late. I don't know that I had the best audition that I've ever had, but I don't know that that matters, I was relaxed, and did what I know to do.. And just got through it even the reads they wanted us to do cold... It felt good. It felt natural, and I feel more centered than I have in ages..so in some ways it was probably a very good audition.. I hope this calm is a sign of healing, and will still feel this way tomorrow... emotions have been raw of late, I'm doing well, but I've definitely been aware of the invisible contusions from the last several months... My friend Catherine was pushing me to go to auditions thinking it would be good for me, like getting back on the horse once you've fallen off.. I'm glad she did. I love my theatre family, they're wonderful, and feeling even better is fantastic...

Now I'm listening to the Cure, who I haven't listened to for ages, and that seems to be helping as well. Ahhhh it is good to be getting back to me...

2 Comments:

Blogger Trillian42 said...

Yay! I know what you mean about the theatre being a cleansing space. That was something that my acting professor DRILLED into us - leave it at the door. Didn't matter what was going on outside, it got left at the door while we were there. Eventually, that became second nature, and when I picked up the crap again when I left, it was never as bad.

I'm glad things are getting better, hon.

8:25 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't it wonderful how the theatre works? No one has to be there, you can just be alone on the stage, just you and the ghost light and things don't seem as bad.

12:23 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home