Tales of life and art. Theater, knitting, music, and pottery (and anything else I feel like writing about)

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Hoover blanket

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Here is my second attempt at the Hoover Blanket. I had gotten about this far initially and frogged the whole thing, as it had some twisted stitches and a few other mistakes, mainly in the join of the purple to the other colors. I hand't meant to frog the entire thing, but only frogging some of a double knitted item, was more of a challenge than I had anticipated, so the whole thing got ripped out. With the "starting over" I realized that the color join would work better if I used the purple on the first two stitches of the interior on each end. (so that the end result is a purple stitch on each interior edge on both sides) before "joining" the stripe color. That seems to be working much better, although it still isn't as neat as I might like for it to be, but it seems to be getting neater as I go along, so maybe it is something I can mask or block out later. (I hope) The other change I've made is instead of doing single row stripes, I'm doing double rows. With the crazy color combination I chose, I felt like the green and torquoise would visually vibrate too much together with single rows. I'm doing both sides at once, and that is tedious enough, I can't imagine trying to do this slipping stitches every other stitch as the instructions say to do. So far, in this encarnation, I still have the sides seperate. (no twisties --YAY)

In other news, I'm running lights for a production of The Glass Menagerie. This show was the first show I did Tech for many many years ago. (Then I was on the backstage running crew) I'd forgotten how much I like some of the language in the show. Some of the imagery Williams paints in the dialogue and speaches Tom has. I got to go up in the catwalk to help gel and focus some of the lighting instruments before the show opened. That was pretty cool. I'd love to watch a show from up there sometime, but doubt that will happen.

I'm glad we've had a real spring this year, the weather has been lovely without really hot days, and lower humidity before the heat and humidity of summer engulfs us. So much of the time in recent years we seem to have gone from winter to summer bypassing spring altogheter. So we've been able to get some gardening done (weeding mostly) without the opressive summer heat. (aren't I glad I don't live in LA or FL???) Now the season does seem to be gearing up, and we have already been to 3 cookouts, and have plans most weekends in June already penciled in. Our big boss has decided to let us off an hour early on Fridays between Memorial Day and Labor Day, I'm thinking that is a good thing, and might get me in the pottery studio some then, since they are open til 9 on Fridays. We are also hoping to get some vacation time in, but I'm not giving detalis at the moment in case one of my down-stream Secret Pals (hello out there if you are reading) is reading trying to see if I may be the one sending them things.

5 Comments:

Blogger Margot said...

That's a beautiful blanket - I love the colors. I'd like to make one someday, but am afraid of how long it would take.

Have a fun trip - ya can tell ME where you're going! : )

6:21 PM

 
Blogger Trillian42 said...

Wow - those are some awesome colors! I am going to try that pattern one of these days, I swear.

7:29 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's one fantastically bright blanket you have there! Love it!

-Your upstream SP :)

7:12 PM

 
Blogger LaBean said...

Yay for running lights, and not getting tickets! :D I never was good at classic literature; when you say Williams, do you mean as in Tennessee? :D

And good for Hoover(blanket)but isn't the original in only one color, or am I thinking of something totally different? I'm terrible with history too, so I hope it's for Herbert and not J. Edgar! LOL

9:20 AM

 
Blogger Mtwelovett said...

yes, Tennessee Williams' The Glass Menagerie.

The Hoover Blanket is a knitty pattern under children's in the archive maybe??(somewhere in there) I think the original was still two color, I cannot imagine doing one in just one color. There are however variations where each inside pannel is one color (different on the two sides) or are opposite single row stripes. My variation changes the boarder color from one of those colors, and makes the stripes 2 row stripes. :) and yes, it is named for the former president's wife.

10:14 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home