Tales of life and art. Theater, knitting, music, and pottery (and anything else I feel like writing about)

Friday, February 18, 2005

Opening Night

It's Opening Night for the show I'm running the light board for. I think it will be a good show. They've been running well the last week, and have been pretty solid. The audiences should enjoy it, as it is a well scripted show crafted to be funny on many levels, and our audiences like a good comedy.

I spent 14 hours at the thater yesterday. I went over around lunchtime to help put some finishing touches on the set. Painting and molding mostly. Stuff like the chair rails. Late afternoon we had an artistic descision go awry. The finishing technique that was being used to give the set an aged look, had one of the actors come in and ask, "Who set the set on fire and then put it out?" We were all hoping that it would appear different and better once the stage lighting was on it. Not the case. SO the Director, Stage Manager and I stayed after the run to "fix" it. Fortunately, it was helped by softening the offensive areas by sponging on more of the background color. We were lucky this was able to fix it, and that was all that was needed. Unfortunately, it still took us until 2:30 am to do so. I'm so glad I only live around the corner from the theater. Driving a longer distance would have been really dangerous with as tired as I was.

After getting home, Robert who had woken briefly, let me know that I had won an Addy Award. They had called while I was at the theater. The awards banquet is next Friday. I only entered one thing so I know what it was for, and when I called the lady back, she told me it was a "gold" and was pretty adamant that I should come to the awards. So I'm wondering if there is more to it, or if she has a contact she wants me to meet. This will involve getting someone to cover my light board operation for the night though, since there is a performance that night. The good news is that it is an easy show to run. There are only 3 looks, and it doesn't change a whole lot. I feel bad since I made a commitment to the show (not thinking about when the awards were), but since I'm out of work, it will be a good oportunity to network. The Director is thrilled, (since it is a poster I did for her that won) and isn't concerned about me missing the show, so I guess it will be allright.

4 Comments:

Blogger Qeltic said...

Golden Addy! Golden Addy! Congratulations my friend!

7:51 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:41 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:41 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:42 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home