Tales of life and art. Theater, knitting, music, and pottery (and anything else I feel like writing about)

Monday, May 23, 2005

Use the force...

I like Star Wars, really I do. I'm not one of those people that can tell you every intricate detail of everything about it, nor can I tell you all the lesser characters names, or their planets, or all the different names of all the different spacecraft, I know there is the Mellinium Falcon, and the Death Star, but the rest is kind of a blur. I saw Star Wars in a Drive-in theater in my parents VW Camper (with them and my brother who, being so young, promptly fell asleep in his footie pajamas) when it came out. So when my friends wanted to see the latest installment this weekend, I was game, but not frothing at the mouth or anything... (save that for July and the next book installment of Harry Potter...which is released the same night as the opening of the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory movie... whose bright idea was that??? not a smart marketing move, since a lot of their audience will be spending the weekend READING!!!, but I digress... ) I've seen all the other Star Wars movies in the theater except for Episode 1, which I have only seen in part on TV. I really liked Episode 2 where you started to see things piece together. So I was looking forward to seeing how it played out and tied up the loose ends to get back to Star Wars. I wasn't disappointed. I still can't tell you the intricacies of the story, but I know the jist of it all, and the whole thing is a total visual spectical, but man, it was pretty amazing. (Don't read any further if you don't want any spoilers, just in case)






Yoda Rocks even more than he did in the last one, although I felt bad when he thinks he has failed. But to take a sympathetic character in Annikan and see the transformation to Vader, and have it make as much sense as it does... Woah!!! I was amused by the guy telling the other guy (see??) to take care of R2 and C3PO knowing they end up a little shabby in Star Wars... Nicole was impressed by the parallel in the scene where Annikin kills Dukku (I think it was) to the scene in Return of the Jedi, with Luke, but it had been so long since I'd seen that one, it was lost on me sorry to say... I feel like I shuld go back and watch the original three now.

2 weeks till Tonys... not sure who is going to win. I hope it isn't all Spamalot. I'll be bored with it if it is.. I'm hoping that Light in the Piazza and Dirty Rotten Scoundrels take some awards too. I love the Producers, but that was a really boring Tony Awards night since all the suspense was gone, since it was pretty obvious what was taking the awards that night. (although I already had tickets for a month later, so I was still pretty happy)

Discovered tonight that my new radio station does post a song playlist on line, which was helpful today when there was a cool song that they played that i wanted to know what it was...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Tony prediction for best musical:
Spamalot (the obvious), or
Light in the Piazza (dark horse)

My guess is taht it will go to the big show - Spamalot - since last year they gave it to the token "little show that could" - Avenue Q. I'm still upset Wicked didn't win.

And I can't wait to see Hugh Jackman again - YUM! Him alone is worth watching the show!

10:29 AM

 
Blogger Qeltic said...

Yes, the parallel in Darth Sidious urging Anakin to kill Dooku in RotS and in RotJ urging Luke to kill Darth Vader. New apprentice, stronger apprentice to kill the old. The set was very similar as was the wording, lighting, etc. Very well done!

I vote for Light in the Piazza.

12:09 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home